lördag, april 27, 2013

A sissy or a man?

The great thing about my childhood home is that it's far out on the countryside, in the middle of no-where or actually- in my oppinion- in the middle of an heavenly forest. What else do you need? This is the absolute best place to be! Our house is small, old and rather worn down to put it kindly but it's peaceful, private and most of all it's HOME! I'm already planning my retirement here. Or perhaps I even move back before that if I get the slightest realistic chance of doing so. This village is dying, like so many others, and it's not just a shame it's bloody stupid. Whith this card house kind of economy that doesn't even need a wolf to blow it down those who manage on the countryside will have an easier time when it all fall down- they can grow their food and warm their houses on their own. What will the rest of them do when the light goes out in the cities? I wonder...

Anyway, I'm here now, there's a fire in the stove to warm the water in the tank so I can shower to night and to the dishes tomorrow (it's so primitive we don't even have a dishwasher but at least we got running water!). No, it's not all fun and games out here. It's a lot of work too. Actually, living out here you don't need an other job because there's plenty of stuff to be doing anyway like cutting wood for the fire. Not just the fire right now but to put away to dry so you've got wood for every single day and night during the long and cold winter (running on electricity all the time would be too damn expencive). Of course, out here, you do this AND have an ordinary job someplace else. A lot of work indeed. I hope that society soon will see the wisdom of supporting initiatives of selfsustaining households on the countryside to back up most of the population before the collapse of this econimical structure comes. We should've given it up a long time ago and should be reconstructing it to something more lasting and realistic right now while there's still time to use it for something good but I don't think anything will happen until it comes crashing down on it's own. It's already begun.

But those dark cynical thoughts was not at all what I was going to write about but this- I'm sitting here, tending a fucking fire in a stove as if it was nothing. To most people it would be nothing but I grew up fearfully whimpering and flinching like a sissy around fires and actively avoided them like I avoided anything that got hot (like fire) and/or electrical that could hurt me. So I stayed faaaar away from the kitchen where both the fire were lit and the food was cooking on an electrical stove that in my mind might be able to explode in my face...And now it's nothing. I still don't like cooking and still prefer someone else lighting and tending the fire but if I have to I no longer feel all worked up about it. I just do it as if I've done it all my life.

Perhaps I've finally become a man?

*lol* no, just a sexist joke built on the silly notion that only men would be bold enough to light fires. It would be more correct to say that perhpas I've become an adult. On the other hand as an adult I identify as a man so no need to apologize since it's actually true wether or not that has anything to do with me not being a sissy (around fires) anymore ;)

Inga kommentarer: