These days science have come so far so that we can ”design” babies for special purposes. If you find out that one of your children is carrying a deadly disease, that will break out at any time, and the only way to cure him is if you have an other child without the disease but with the same type of tissue to make a transplant possible- would you “design” that child?
A swedish family have. Their eldest son is already dying and can’t be saved, the second son is a carrier and will sooner or later get sick too. The only way to save him is to transplant his sick bonemarrow with healthy marrow from a sibling. After a long time of fighting the family now have a healthy baby daughter and a perfect match for the younger son. She is a “designed” baby, a baby created with the purpose of saving her brother. But, of course, she’s wanted for her own sake too.
Some people don’t like what this family has done. The dying son was never told that he would die because the mother didn’t want to kill his hope though some doctor told her everyone has a right to prepair for death. How do one prepair oneself for death I wonder? Even if you’re deadly sick and dying the only way to truly prepair for death must be to lie down and just wait. How fun is that? I think I’d rather believe that one day someone would come up with an antidote and just in time save my life. Especially if I was only thirteen years old and dying. I’d probably think so even if I was told that there was no cure. If I got cancer today I’d think that. I’d be the miracoules survivor of a 99,9% deadly cancer. Not very likely, but atleast I wouldn’t lose hope.
Some doctors, and ordinary people, don’t like scientists messing with genetics either. They’re “playing God” and so on. I doubt that we can ever make lazer-visioned children that can also go invisible or whatever, so what are they afraid of? Babies with bat wings and pointy teeth? That would be awesom though. Sure, there are porbably some unforseen risks about it but if it saves lifes? Why should we not do it then? Jesus cured the lame. He even brought dead people back to life, made water to wine and so on. So what’s wrong with new technology that saves lifes? In my oppinion- none. Well, as long as people or animals don’t get hurt. I don’t count embryos as either people or animals.
And I think that the designed baby girl will grow up knowing that she was long fought for, and long wanted and so very deeply loved and appreciated for existing- both as a life-savior and for being who she is. And she’ll never have to wonder what her purpose in life is...
...sry couldn’t help myself. Very cynical of me.
1 kommentar:
I think your reference to Jesus saving the lame pointed at just why some people think we shouldn't have this power - to play God. I'm neutral in this question, let science have it's course because it will with or without me. But I can see the numerous dangers, like parents designing super-smart children, like nazis designing blonde and blue-eyes kids, like some cultures choosing one gender above the other. Like a ruling class of genetically perfected and a "slave-class" of naturally born. On the other hand, maybe that's the price we pay. With this technology, maybe my leg could have been fixed while I was still in the womb. Future will tell.
Skicka en kommentar