“That must be exhausting” (being
angry), and “I forgive you, sister Hildegard” (who, in the movie, was the main
preventer of a reunion).
I agree that being angry all the time
is extremely exhausting and doesn’t really get you anywhere so I try not to
bother; I’ve been angry enough for a lifetime about things I cannot change.
What’s done is done and the circumstances that shape my life are things better
accepted and dealt with- not by banging my head against them but by taking a
step back and look for a way around, over or under. But sometimes feeling angry can feel good too; gives
one a sense of power, of self-righteousness and the notion that you can stand
up for yourself when being wronged, that you won’t take shit from anyone. That feeling probably derives from vanity and pride; I am such a great person I should not
have to be wronged and accept injustice.
To forgive the pain and suffering someone
else causes you means that you have to make the other person an obstacle that cannot change- which, in a way, makes them less than
their potentials, less than what they should be. You have to expect less from them in order to forgive them
because being angry with them won’t make them change; it will only make it seem
they’re right about you and your lack of self-control and moral so that the
punishment seems just. The only one who can change is you. So by forgiving them
you’re putting aside the anger and hate that caused you to scream that other
people have to change because they hurt you by their actions (which make them
laugh and hurt you more). Instead you’re calmly saying that they don’t know
what they’ve done, or continue to do, because they’re too ignorant to do any
better and you’re such a great and generous person allowing them to do these
things to you because they can’t be expected to change.
Doesn’t it sound rather condescending?
You’re too ignorant to know any better, and I forgive your lack because you are
a lacking person, you have a limit and you’ve reached it, you won’t get better
than this and I refuse to be as lacking as you so I forgive instead of paying back in kind. Even the crucified Jesus said:
“Father, forgive them for they do
not know what they’re doing”.
Feels good to hear, right? To me that’s arrogance disguised as
humility, because it’s saying that I am better and stronger, and the things that
you do are horrible but I can’t expect any better from you so I won’t send a
bolt of lightning to make you mind your manners in the future. You’re too crude
to learn from that anyway, so I’ll simply forgive you, and ask my father to do
the same (though I think that was easily granted since God wanted the people to
crucify his son…)
Don’t get me wrong now; I love this
kind of condescending arrogance as it gives results and brings the same feeling of self-righteousness
and power as anger does, only more controlled. I’ve got the power to forgive your wrongdoings against
me because your powers are more limited than mine. I’m the mature one. Rather like
Baloo holding little Moglie as he’s kicking the bear in the stomach. Ridicules,
right, the kicking? As if it would hurt the bear.
It probably does. No matter how big
you are it still hurts. But it doesn’t have to make you lash back in anger and
resentment that they dare hurt you
though they should know better. Yes, they should, but they don’t. Accept that, don’t expect more and it’ll be
easier to forgive, to move on and stop wasting time on feelings like anger and
disappointment or fear. But it feels like it’s really easy to become cynical, arrogant
and smug along the way while looking impossibly humble and “good”.
So is this what Christian
forgiveness is about (being a condescending wiseass) or am I missing
something?
Inga kommentarer:
Skicka en kommentar