tisdag, december 10, 2013

Coping part 2- Questions

When we come out and people realize we’re trans* homo, bi or whatever that’s not cis-gendered and hetero-normative there’s usually a lot of questions following. As if it’s too strange to imagine a different life than what’s expected. Most people have better imagination than that but sometimes they are chocked and forget themselves and need a little reminder.

Perhaps I’m not the right person writing this because I really don’t mind the questions. I might have difficulties answering them but that’s a general issue for me- my brain is slow and needs a lot of time to come up with an answer. It sometimes takes hours to write a comment on Facebook before I’m satisfied with it, never mind a spontaneous comment in a heartbeat straight to your face. I don’t consider that answers at all, just hick-ups…or something. If you want a proper answer please write me instead.

But questions should not be taken lightly because you never know how they might impact on the person being asked. Take a moment to think of what and especially why you’re asking and remember that everyone has a right not to answer.

The three most common questions I get are these: have you had surgery/will you have surgery/what kind of surgery (which I consider to be one question because what’s actually being asked is what my genitals look/will look like even if the person asking is not fully aware of this)? Why did I choose the name(s) I’ve taken? What’s it like being what I am?

The first question is usually what people seem most concerned with and ask as soon as they get the chance. Usually it’s considered rude and inappropriate to ask about people’s genitals (compare with asking if someone is shaved, pierced or circumcised) but not when it comes to us because they can’t generalize about what we might look like; which is what the gender specific dress codes are for. It’s a lazy way of “knowing” someone’s sex. Transsexuals have a choice to make: do we dress according to our genitals to be forever someone else or do we dress according to our gender identity so that we may be seen as who we are rather than what we are? Those who have chosen the latter one have another choice to make; do we put our genitals through surgery to better resemble what we feel we should’ve been born with or do we accept nature’s cruel gest upon us? This is what people think they’re asking, believing it says something important about us. It doesn’t. What’s important about us (and everyone else) is not down there- that stuff doesn’t define anything about anyone- but growing up in a society where what’s “down there” is made all important to who we are will cause this pressing interest. And the sudden lack of propriety which I find rather amusing actually. What people ask says more about them than my answer might say about me.

Why did I choose to call myself “Gabriel”? I didn’t. Not consciously; I don’t even like it. I made a list of names I liked, tried them on for size like you do with a new coat and none of them fit so I added some more names I liked less, and some that were more like jokes than serious alternatives. Gabriel was one of the latter; I had faith in the Christian god as a child and strongly believed that He who created me this way would not approve of me transitioning because He didn’t change me by my asking. He wanted me to suffer. To endure being female, and doomed to be seen as what I am and not who I am. Transitioning and calling myself by the name of one of the most famous angels would be like spitting on God Himself. Perhaps that’s why it stuck. It still chafes a bit because too many hear me say “Gabrielle” rather than the male version and I’m no “angel”, but I’m androgynous enough for such a name ;) It got a little better when I after some long and hard thinking came up with a second name that suits me better- Anakin. That’s more like me, more true to my nature. I think they bring a nice balance to each other. I’ve also kept my old name, Therese, for those who are interested because without my history I wouldn’t be who I am. Though asking for a transpersons’ old name isn’t very polite because many wishes to forget about it and by asking you bring that old pain with it as well. That’s true for most, if I understand my fellow trans-siblings correctly. It’s not painful to me but I may be an exception.

And the last question- what’s it like to be what I am? Well, there are many answers to that. Firstly I don’t know anything else so what am I to compare it with? A “normal” life? Well, I must admit that I’ve wished for that but then again: I don’t know what I wish for. I wanted to be an ordinary guy, just a regular boy born with a dangling dick. Things would’ve been so much easier that way but it’s not what I’ve got. I’m too much of a pragmatic to waste time on wishing for things to be a way they certainly are not and won’t be until perhaps my next life if I get one, by which time I’ll be someone else and not who I am today. I deal with it. What’s it like then, dealing with things that not everyone in society accepts as a “real” issue but consider just as imaginary as symptoms of disease caused by hypochondria? Well, it’s tough and some of us make it while some of us don’t, and even those who make the transition and live happy lives aren’t safe from prejudice, discrimination, harassment, assault and even murder. This is true for many and not just lgbtq-people- we all have our own struggles and there’ll always be people who need someone to blame and to hate- but so far I’ve only experienced positive reactions from being trans*, for which I’m very grateful.

But I am also ashamed. I’ve had it easy. Sure, I too considered suicide for a while, not because I wanted to die but because I thought I should. I wasn’t right for god, I wasn’t right for society, not right for the norm and I hated myself because I tried so hard to be right and still I wanted to be something that was considered wrong. Who’d want someone that is wrong? Better to die if there was nothing to gain on being wrong. A transition is not a guarantee for happiness. But it can be a push in the right direction. I’m lucky to be so pigheaded and decided, eventually, that since being right by everybody else was killing me I didn’t really stand to lose anything by being wrong to them and right by myself.

So here I am, at peace with my body and happy with my life such as it is. These questions don’t bother me anymore because they’re not really about me, they’re about the one asking and the society we live in. They concern us all. What we make of our genitals and our gender identities, sexuality and right to reproduce are important to all of us and have great impact on individuals and society at large. They don’t need to be this important but as long as they still are people will keep asking to understand and those of us that can, should try to explain. It's the only way to move forward; if you don't ask you'll never learn.

Inga kommentarer: